Pages

Friday 4 February 2011

You Know You're Tired When...

Most parents have tiredness in common at some stage.  Pregnancy itself comes with a kind of dreadful chemical tiredness which was like nothing I've ever felt before - especially right at the beginning, when you're still at work and before you've told anyone, so you have to think up other reasons for falling asleep in the middle of a sentence.

Just for fun, here's a list of things I have genuinely done, either while pregnant or through general lack of sleep since Abigail was born.

I Know I'm Tired When...

...I pour all the pasta into the sink, forgetting to put a colander underneath it, and then cry about it.
...I drive from the post office to my house on the wrong side of the road, only noticing when a large truck comes in the opposite direction
...I get into the car wearing my slippers
...I do an entire supermarket shop before realising that I left my purse at home with all my money in it (and I was so proud that I had my well-equipped nappy bag with me!)
...I tell The Rev to "sit at the table like a good boy" when it's dinner time
...I spend several minutes, while tidying Abigail's baby jigsaw, trying to fit an elephant into the slot marked 'rhino' and wondering why it won't go
...the fridge is the first place I look for my car keys

And I have a baby that sleeps!  I think there should be 'TP' (Tired Parent) plates to stick on your car and warn other drivers...and perhaps I could also design a T-shirt that says, "Speak slowly to me...I'm a Mummy'.

No comments: